CHARACTERISTICSOF BANK OF KOREA MONEY MUSEUM BUILDING
Construction of Bank of Korea Museum building began in 1907. The building was designed by Dr. Tatsuno Kingo (辰野金吾) and was originally intended to be used for the Dai Ichi Ginko, The First National Bank of Japan.
However, construction was taken over by the Former Bank of Korea (later renamed the Bank of Joseon on August 15, 1911), established in accordance with the 'Agreement on Korean Central Bank Ordinance' of 1909. Construction was completed and the building was used as the head office of the Bank of Joseon from 1912 onwards.
Later, after establishment of the Bank of Korea on June 12, 1950, the building was used as its head office. It was gutted during the Korean War, and repairs were completed in 1958. The building was as National Historic Site No 280 in 1981, and it was restored to its present form in 1989." This Renaissance-style building, like the Old Governor-General Building in Seoul, Kyungsung Post Office, Kyungsung Station and the Chosun Hotel, is representative of the early days of the Japanese occupation and uses a composite technique. The outer wall was made of granite blocks, cut by chisel. The floor of the building was finished with wood, and its ceiling with plaster. The outer wall has been restored to preserve its original form, but some modifications have been made inside to meet contemporary needs. For instance, the interior is now finished with marble.
From above, this building has a ‘井’ shape, while the view from the front gate shows symmetry.
The top edges of the front wall have decorative pediments, that is, brick-attached triangular structures, and round-shaped towers with domes at their tops next to the pediments. The roof of the front gate is supported by entasis columns. The windows on the wall of the first floor are surrounded by projected horizontal granite ridges, while those on the wall of the second floor have rainbow-like arcs at their tops.